So, maybe I’m just feeling it’s time to shake off the Winter Blues and start ramping things up for Spring because it’s actually a sunny day in the PNW today! After so much rain and WIND this Winter…I am so happy to see the sun, even if it’s not warm yet! With that, I am inspired to start doing some simple things to ‘detox’ and re-energize my body!
Does that sound good to you too? Here are my top 5 suggestions:
1. Get a good and intense massage: Most of us think of massages as a relaxing luxury, which it can be. But, depending on the type of massage you get it can be a great way to detoxify the body too. If you are interested in getting rid of toxins in the body then I suggest you schedule an intense massage that focuses on the pressure points within the body. This may be called a Sports Massage or a Deep Tissue massage. When pressure is applied to these trigger points where toxins tend to build up, it gives them a chance to release. This gives your body a chance to naturally detox and get rid of things that may have been making you sick.
There are many great certified massage therapists out there and finding the right one for you may take time. If you live in the Bainbridge Island-Poulsbo area here are three I recommend:
Carol O’Neill at Island Fitness 206-842-5720
Jennifer Horner at Island Fitness 206-842-5720
Eric Thanem at Poulsbo Athletic Club 360-440-3555
2. Drink way more water: Even if you think you are drinking enough water in a day, increase your level! Water helps to flush out your system naturally, and if you are drinking enough consistently this happens routinely. Proper water intake can contribute to clearer skin, well functioning organs, and more effectiveness in the circulatory, respiratory and digestive system. So, how much SHOULD you drink? Eight glasses/day is the MINIMUM, so start increasing it!
3. Eat more natural fiber: I know, I know…you’ve heard this before, but it is TRUE!! Not only does fiber contribute to a healthy diet and to possible weight loss, but it’s also an essential way of cleansing the body in its most natural form. Our bodies (particularly our digestive tracts), tend to hold onto substances the enter the body over time. This may be preservatives from foods we eat or just waste that is not being properly disposed of by the body. The end result of this may be a bloated feeling, feeling unusually tired or weighed down and health problems may result out of this. With a proper serving of fiber in your diet, your digestive system will work more efficiently. Toxins, excessive waste and anything else that has build up will move through more rapidly and you will feel healthier.
Whenever possible eat fiber as naturally (minimally processed) as possible. Fresh fruits and vegetables, beans, legumes and whole grains are all excellent sources of fiber.
4. Move more: Everyone knows they should be doing this…but many times find excuses for not fitting it in to their day. Sometimes it just takes finding an activity you enjoy. So, experiment and try some new ways to move. Take a spinning class at your gym. Or how about a gentle yoga class from the Pop Sugar Active App. What about a dance class? Through sweating our body sheds lots of toxins…remember our skin is our largest organ so as we sweat we release toxins.. Not only that but you are, also helping with digestion, circulation and to keep the organs functioning as they should with a challenging fitness regimen. I will be offering an on-line group From Sweaters to Swimsuits exercise challenge in May!
5. Take a break from simple carbohydrates, white sugar and flour and any fried foods: Please note that I didn’t say ‘give these up FOREVER’…but take a break. Decide how much time you want to give these up for and get an accountability partner to help you through the ‘rough’ times. Focus on what you ‘can’ have during this time. I will be offering a 2 week on-line Sugar Cleanse if you want delicious recipes, support and encouragement, education and a community doing the challenge with you! Group starts April 17th…read more about it here!
I hope you are already doing some of these things, if so, look at ways to take them to the next level…if not…start one today! Let’s shake off the Winter Blues and do this Spring/Summer the right way this year!!