We are seeing sunshine, we are experiencing a slight warming in temperature and we are starting to feel hope again! Hope that Winter is truly over, Spring is here and Summer is right around the corner! Too dramatic? Well, here in the Pacific Northwest this is how we are feeling after a long, rainy and windy Winter. I don’t know about you, but a part of me looks forward to Fall and Winter. Sweaters, boots, Holiday sweets and lots of comfort foods. Then comes Spring! I start realizing that I feel a bit more sluggish, my jeans don’t look quite as cute on me without a sweater covering up my belly and all I want to eat is SUGAR! Am I alone here? I hope not!
With another sugar cleanse looming on the horizon…I thought I’d share some small insights or a few things that I learned in last years’ cleanse…let’s call them SURVIVAL TIPS…
- Write down all the reasons WHY you want to do a sugar cleanse…BEFORE YOU START! You will have hard days, very hard days and you will need this list to help keep you motivated. Write these reasons on 3×5 cards and put them everywhere in your house for you to see.
- Do the cleanse with a friend or spouse. I have done cleanses with and
without this and believe me, I am way more successful with support and accountability! This way in moments of weakness you can encourage one another. You can talk about everything going on with the cleanse and they will be interested! But, the best reason of all…you won’t have to cook two meals or be tempted to eat what they are having. By the way, my kids get the same dinners we have on the cleanse and they love them. I do allow them to have treats, crackers, sandwiches and the like, however.
- Plan and Prepare! Have your meals and snacks planned out, grocery shop accordingly and have some snacks all ready to go. Nothing can sabotage strong resolve like being too hungry or caught off guard. This also means taking a look ahead at your schedule and planning. Do you have a friends’ Birthday party coming up…plan what you are going to order ahead of time.
- Stay hydrated! This may seem like common sense, but when your body is working hard to get rid of toxins, you actually need to drink more than 8 glasses a day to assist in flushing those toxins out. Plus, did you know that the hypothalamus can misread thirst as hunger? So, this is the time to make water drinking a priority!
- Experiment and be Creative. This is important! Plan on trying new recipes
and new ideas. Used to having a glass of wine every night? Try making some Sweet and Spicy iced tea and put it in a wine glass and relax and enjoy. Change your focus at mealtime and make it an experience. Add a tablecloth and candles, use your fancy plates (if you have them!) Focus on the conversation and not the food. Better yet, truly focus on the food, the smell, texture, taste. At what point does your body truly feel satisfied and can you stop eating at that point?
This sounds doable, right? Plus, it’s only 2 weeks!! We can do ANYTHING for 2 weeks! So, find a buddy and let’s shake off those Winter blahs together!!