Wondering how to set yourself up for success for a cardio (aerobic) program…here are some helpful suggestions:
1. Make sure you like what you’re doing. You don’t have to love it now, but you want to do something that is accessible and that you feel confident you can master.
2. Focus on creating a habit and having integrity to yourself. If you decide you are going to do your 45 min workouts on M-W-F keep those appointments with yourself just as you would an appointment with a friend, doctor or client.
3. Look at your calendar/schedule and choose the days for your longer workouts and shorter workouts based on your other commitments and stick to it.
4. Schedule these workouts…actually write them in your planner or calendars, set reminder alarms on your phone. Do everything ahead of time to set yourself up for success.
5. Prepare beforehand. Your workout time starts well beforehand. Make sure you have everything you need-clothes, water, shoes, snacks, music etc, ready and waiting before your workout. Don’t give yourself an excuse not to do your cardio.
6. Start where you are. Your level 7 intensity may be a lot more gentle (slower) paced than it used to be or will be right at the beginning. The longer you stick with your program, the harder your workout will need to become to adjust to your growing fitness level.
7. Check in with yourself weekly. Make notes of any difficulties your having and deal with them immediately.
8. Set up accountability. Find a friend who would love to workout with you or maybe just someone who needs accountability to reach some goals also and set up a regular check in time to reflect on progress or hang ups.
9. Track your activity. There are many ways to do this. Apps such as MyFitnessPal as well as trackers such as Fitbit making tracking easy and fun and can also help with food journaling.
The underlying theme of these tips is to put some time and thought into making this your plan and then truly committing to making a change. Surround yourself with other ‘like-minded’ people and friends who support your goals to be healthier and happier.