Pumpkin Pie with Pumpkin Seed Crust
1 cup spelt flour, plus more for rolling the dough
1/3 cup hulled, raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp. maple syrup or agave nectar
1/4 tsp. sea salt
4 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. – 1 Tbsp. cold water
2 farm fresh eggs
15 – 16 ounces fresh, baked or steamed pumpkin pureed until smooth
1 cup farm fresh milk, or almond or rice milk
1/2 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Optional: Serve with sweetened whipped cream or raw banana ice cream and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds for garnish.
- Put the flour, pumpkin seeds, and salt into food processor with fitted metal blade. Process until pumpkin seeds are finely ground.
- Add the butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add maple syrup, vinegar & cold water and pulse until mixture clumps.
- Roll into ball and flatten on parchment paper pressing into a large flat circle and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- On lightly floured board, roll dough into a 12″ circle and transfer to 10″ pie plate pressing into bottom and up sides. Finish edges. Prick with fork in several places. Line with parchment paper or foil and weight with dried beans or rice. Place in oven for about 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Lift parchment or foil and weights and remove them from baked shell. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- In mixing bowl, place egg, pumpkin, milk, maple syrup or agave, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and vanilla.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Bake until filling doesn’t jiggle. About 35 – 45 minutes. Set pie on rack.
- Serve room temperature or chilled with whipped cream and whole pumpkin seeds if desired.
Variation for Crust: Use unsalted sunflower seeds or walnuts in place of the pumpkin seeds.
Variation for Filling: Use canned pumpkin.
Courtesy of Amie Guyette Hall
Warm Thanksgiving Kale and Squash Salad
1 large purple turnip, washed, diced into 1/2″ cubes w/ skin
1/2 acorn squash, washed, seeded, diced into 1/2″ cubes w/ skin
1/2 small butternut squash, washed, seeded, diced into 1/2″ cubes w/ skin
2 tbs. grapeseed or canola oil (for baking)
1/2 head of kale, sliced paper thin crosswise
1/2 head of Lacinto Kale, sliced paper thin crosswise
1 tbs. each, raw pumpkin seeds, ground flax seeds, crushed pecans
2 tbs. dried cranberries
1 tbs. fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 carrots, diced small
sea salt and pepper to taste
gomasio for flavor (optional)
2 tbs first cold pressed EV olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the diced turnip, acorn and butternut squash in a large baking tray.
- Cover with 1-2 tbs. of grapeseed oil, mix until coated and top with sea salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, checking and turning over halfway through. When the veggies are baked, place them in a large bowl and add all of the other ingredients, mix well making sure everything is coated with the fresh olive oil.
- Add sea salt, gomasio and pepper to taste and serve warm.